About Sports Physiotherapy and Where to Find a Sports Physiotherapist (Physio) in North Sydney
Sports physiotherapy involves the management and prevention of injuries that result from exercise or sports participation. Individuals with sports injuries span all ages and skill levels. When you visit a sports physio in North Sydney, he or she will assess your injury, determine exactly what the problem is, and recommend a course of treatment as well as providing advice on safe participation and avoiding a recurrence of the injury. Sports physiotherapists also play a role in helping athletes enhance performance. A sports physiotherapist in North Sydney is a recognised professional with training and experience in sports safety, performance enhancement, training interventions, and treatment of sports injuries in athletes of all ages and fitness levels, from those who play sports occasionally for fun to highly competitive athletes.
Most Common Sports Injuries
A sports injury can be almost any type of injury, depending on the sport played and how strenuous the activity is. However, there are a few injuries that athletes are more likely to sustain than others. These include:
- Sprains and strains. Sprains and strains can happen with just about any type of physical activity. A sprain involves damage to a ligament (which connects bones to other bones) while a strain involves damage to a muscle.
- Knee injuries. Each year, millions of people sustain knee injuries. There are several different types of knee injuries, such as damage or bruising to the ligaments in the area or injury that causes pain near the knee cap.
- Shin splints. When pain occurs along the shin bone, it is known as a shin splint. This injury is common among runners, particularly when they run on hard surfaces. Improper techniques and failure to warm up or stretch significantly can also contribute to shin splints.
- Fractures. Fractures are, simply put, broken bones. Acute fractures occur with a one-time injury while stress fractures are due to repeated stress on a bone over time. Stress fractures are most common in the feet and legs from sports that require repeated impact such as jumping and running.
- Dislocations. Dislocations occur in the joints and are caused by force pushing the bones out of alignment. Dislocations are most common in contact sports such as football. This injury usually requires immediate medical attention.
Where to Get Sports Physiotherapy in North Sydney
For 16 years, Summit Physiotherapy has been providing sports physiotherapy, acupuncture, cupping, and more to residents of the North Sydney area. We offer high-quality physiotherapy that integrates many techniques for a custom approach to your individual issues. Our clients receive personalised care and benefit from our extensive experience in physiotherapy. We are known for fixing hard-to-treat problems, and we use both hands-on manual therapy and exercise therapy. We use a holistic approach and make sure our clients understand exactly what the problem is, helping them manage their injuries and prevent them in the future. Contact us today to find out how we can help you feel better and get back in the game.